Welcome

Welcome to my blog! Please join me as I journey towards finding an agent for my first young adult novel. Between writing, endless snapping of photos, sleep deprivation, taking care of two adorable little girls, and oh yes, the laundry, I'm sure it's going to be a bit crazy on the way to the awaited publication.

I'm open to any tips, critique, or random musings about the things I write or the photos I take, so feel free to email me or comment below.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Third Campaigner Challenge

Today is the third Challenge of Rachel Harrie’s Platform Building Campaign!

The rules are to write a blog post in 300 words or less, excluding the title. The post can be in any format, whether flash fiction, non-fiction, humorous blog musings, poem, etc. The blog post should show:
  • that it’s morning, 
  • that a man or a woman (or both) is at the beach
  • that the MC (main character) is bored
  • that something stinks behind where he/she is sitting
  • that something surprising happens.
Just for fun, see if you can involve all five senses AND include these random words: "synbatec," "wastopaneer," and "tacise."   (NB. these words are completely made up and are not intended to have any meaning other than the one you give them).

Here is my 300 word count entry. Enjoy!

******
The Tacise Project

(Source)
Golden rays shimmered through the sheer aqua green curtains of the tiki hut I was sitting beneath. I had been awake for quite a while as the sun rose over the watery horizon. The rays slowly danced across the sand towards the tips of my toes and I couldn’t help but exhale and wonder at what point the waiters would begin their shifts. I was in need of a mimosa or two. Perhaps that would spark the day.

I lowered my sunglasses and glanced over my shoulder. A faint smell of rottenness wafted on the breeze and fluttered wisps of my hair. The higher the sun rose, I knew the stronger the scent would get. I settled back in the lounge chair and shrugged.

“Perdón, is there anything I can get for you señorita?” The sudden deep voice caused my throat to clench as my voice faltered.

“Mimosa please.” I held up two fingers, his smile broadened.

Within a few minutes, he carried both glasses over from the bar and winked. I didn’t feel obliged to give him a tip because it wouldn’t matter anyway. I’d be gone before he could tabulate a bill.

I drank the first glass before making my way over and stepping onto the awaiting sailboat with the second drink in hand. My wastopaneer partner quickly pulled the anchor and pushed off the dock.

As we left shore, I lifted the sparkling glass in salute and let the sweet concoction flow over my tongue as I savored the tangy flavor. Synbatec, the research company I was contracted through, would be pleased at how well the project was going. The air was bursting with stench meaning it would only be a matter of minutes before the deadly Tacise Pathogen was released and the island was in chaos.

******

If you liked it enough to vote, please "like" me by clicking HERE. (this is a direct link, only click once)


To go to the Linky List page and view all of the votes and entries, please go HERE. (I'm #28) 


Thank you for reading! :)






©Alynza Smith 2011

52 comments:

  1. Ooh I love it! Wonderful job! Nice twist at the end! New follwer btw :)

    (I'm entry #5)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll hop over & read yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it Alynza. Kinda reminded me a little about "Orange Crush." Your blog layout is lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Christy! Not sure what Orange Crush is besides soda lol. I'll have to look it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, I want to know what "the project" is! Great descriptions, I loved the sun rays slowly dancing to the tip of her toes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great use of the nonsense words! Loved your ending line as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool twist at the end. Nice way to use the words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! I loved the twist at the end. Great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creepy ending, nice job!
    Mine is #25.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, very intriguing and def made me want to know more! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the last line that's quite a twist! Great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, what a mean twist at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was really good. I liked that is was different at the end. That you pulled you to wonder, what chaos her company had ordered. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great twist at the end - didn't see it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa, loved that twist. Wicked lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was evil! She's enjoying a drink while pondering their deaths? LOL! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You killed that ending...and I'm guessing everyone on the beach :) Well done! I'm off to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  18. loved the twist at the end. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that was a great read! This could be the makings of a good novel!! :) Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a dark twist at the end. Nicely done. Mine is #56

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, sinister! I want to know what's going on!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sinister indeed! Reminds me of a Michael Crichton novel. And that narrator... so nonchalant as he/she unleashes violence. I'd love to see you continue this story.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, I really like what you did at the end! I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a sadistic character. And I love it, every bit as much as your other entries. Once again, great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations! I am posting as one of the judges for the 3rd campaign challenge. You're moving into the next round. Excellent entry, I enjoyed it very much. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is one of the best examples of showing that I've read yet. And wow... that ending. Did not see it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow thanks everyone!

    @Sarah - Thank you so much for moving me into the next round. How exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sara I just noticed you are my 100th follower!! Yay finally broke triple digits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oooh, chilling! (And I don't mean the mimosas.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey...so that was the reason behind my story. LOL. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sinister and creepy. I thought this was excellent and well deserving of moving to the next round. Congrats. Voting now :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome twist at the end! Good job!

    I'm entry #69 :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wicked twist at the end. :) You have my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Right on. You built beautifully up to that wicked ending!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I loved the way you structured your piece - from the beautiful, seemingly peaceful opening scene, to the "cliffhanger" ending!
    This has the makings of a great suspense/thriller story - exactly my 'cup of tea'. I'm off to vote now.
    (My entry is no.#47)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oooh, a devious character! Well done:) I'm #65.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Definitely a surprise ending! And sort of science-fictiony. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ooo, great twist at the end! I wondered what kind of jerk would leave without paying for their drink, but that totally worked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. My favorite ending by far! Loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Excellent sinister twist. Good job.

    mood (new follower)
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    no.79

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great job. Loving the twist at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I loved your entry and was really surprised by the ending - brilliant! I really wanted to keep reading, so I have sent you through to the second round of judging, well done!

    Good luck in the next round :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a great piece, Alynza. It is a pleasure to read - and I'm here to tell you that you are moving to the finals! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow! Thanks Nadja. I'm so excited! :D

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Alynza, congratulations on making it to the final 12! I've now judged the entries, and you've come 10th. Well done you!!! I loved your twist ending, totally didn't see that coming :)

    Don't forget to pop by Rach Writes... to see what you've won :)

    Hugs,

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  46. A novel in 200 words. Just perfect. Great ending.

    ReplyDelete